Getting down to business
First and foremost, I'm building an inclusive list with a variety of voices and genres. I love working with #OwnVoices authors, and I'm looking for voices from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds, regardless of genre.
In a nutshell, I am looking for fresh voices and fresh takes in the following categories:
Funny and quirky books!
- I'm a sucker for puns and clever rhymes. Kids want to laugh, and I do too! 😄
- Cultural and family traditions and how they shape us
- Celebrating the messiness and complexity of family
Creative books that pique curiosity and imagination
- Think Ish or The Book with No Pictures
- Give me a story with a magical school where the MC is a POC. Something with humor and heart and, of course, magic!
- Stories inspired by myths, folklore, or legends, particularly those that are non-western in origin
- I would love to find a MG version of The Mummy (the Brendan Frasier version, of course)
- Characters that are on the spectrum, but their story is not centered on that; it's just who they are. Because characters on the spectrum can fight dragons and save the world too!
Horror or paranormal
- Give me the ghosts, creepy crawlies, and witches
- I’m a giant animal lover and a total sucker for beautiful emotional stories that involve animals like Pax and The One and Only Ivan
- My first love is character-driven fantasy (urban, contemporary, high — all of it!). A new retelling of an old trope? A mythical setting inspired by a non-European culture? A reluctant hero who inevitably shouts, “I never asked for any of this!”? Sign me up! I'm looking for strong world-building, strange magic, empathetic villains, morally gray heroes, and subversive fantasy tropes
- Creeptastic thrillers with a tightly-knit, well-paced plot, clever and nuanced characters, and a twist that readers will never see coming. I generally steer clear of excessive on-page violence.
- Ghosts, vampires, witches, and otherwise macabre are very much welcome in my inbox
- High concept contemporary fiction aimed at all genders. Bonus points if it makes me laugh and/or cry. Evergreen themes: self-love, coming-of-age, girls supporting girls, friendship and friendship breakups, and slow-burn romances.
- Topical contemporary fiction addressing real issues that teens face
- Accessible science fiction. Think Star Wars or superhero movies. I'm looking for a strong grounded story in which you do not need to understand the ins and outs of time travel and quantum physics in order to follow along
- Fiction aimed at younger YA audiences to fill the space where MG ends and traditional YA begins. Great writing is a must. Great character development and an unforgettable voice really drive it home.
- Dark and devious stories like Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House. Paranormal aspects welcome!
- Stories that are gothic and witchy!
- The key for adult fantasy, for me, is accessibility and intrigue. More Patrick Rothfuss than J.R.R. Tolkien. I am not a good fit for epic fantasy. I'm looking for a well-developed world and magic system with very real stakes. Bonus points if your MC isn't the typical "Chosen One."
Commercial women's fiction and chick lit
- I’m particularly interested in the adventures of twenty-something women navigating the start of professional life after college. Think a younger version of Sex and the City
- Romantic comedies! A story that will make me laugh and swoon at the same time
Can't wait to hear from you!